1kg turkey leg
10g dried cepes, soaked in 500ml warm water
3 bay leaves
200g dried pearl barley
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 cup sweet wine or sherry
1 litre chicken stock or water
½ cup olive oil
60ml apple vinegar
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, stems discarded, leaves chopped
1 teaspoon chopped lemon
Murray River Sea Salt and freshly
ground white pepper to taste
- Soak pearl barley in fresh water, for 4 hours or overnight before cooking.
- Drain the cepes, reserving the liquid and discarding the sediment. Chop the cepes and set aside.
- Place the turkey leg, cepes, bay leaves, drained pearl barley, shallots, sherry, and stock or water in a large casserole dish, Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil over high
heat, Induction setting 8-9. Remove from the heat.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven on Fan Plus at 140°C for 3 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves, remove the turkey leg from the pearl barley and keep warm.
- Place the casserole dish with the pearl barley over low heat, Induction setting 6. Stir in the olive oil and apple vinegar (to taste, not all at once) as well as the chopped herbs. Add half the butter and stir vigorously for a creamy texture. Taste and season well with salt and pepper. Add remaining butter, olive oil and vinegar if required.
- Place the warm turkey leg portions on top of the barley in the casserole dish.
- The texture of the barley should be the consistency of a wet risotto.