100g caster sugar
125ml orange juice
90g egg whites (2-3 egg whites)
125ml vegetable oil
1 lemon, zested
450g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tbs star anise, ground
1. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 140°C.
2. Place sugar, orange juice, egg whites, oil and lemon zest in a bowl. Mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Make a hole in the centre of the flour and pour in the orange mixture, mixing well to combine. If the mixture is too wet add a little extra flour.
4. Working quickly with lightly oiled hands, divide dough into 2 equal portions and shape into loaves each one, approx. 22cm long x 10cm wide x 1.5cm high.
5. Place the dough onto a paper-lined Baking tray and slice every 1cm almost to the base of the loaf.
6. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until almost risen and pale golden.
7. Remove from the Oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. While still warm, with a serrated knife, slice into fingers and lay flat on the Baking tray and return to the Oven. Bake for a further 20 minutes until golden.
8. Remove from the Oven then transfer onto wire racks and return to the Oven. Change the setting to Fan Plus at 30°C and leave in the Oven for approximately 30
Hints and tips
• Pistachios and cranberries can be substituted with a favourite nut and fruit.