1kg Ballarat apples, or any soft fluffy textured apple
¼ cup white sugar, or your preferred sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp star anise, or 1 whole spice
½ tsp ground cloves, or 1 whole spice
Juice of ½ lemon
- Peel and core apples then chop in 2cm cubes. Place apple into acidulated (lemon) water to keep from going brown.
- Drain and toss with the sugar and spices.
- Pack tightly into sterilised jars, pouring in all of the juice and secure the lid.
- Place jars into the steam oven 2cm apart and steam at 100°C for 5 minutes, then 90°C for 55 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the steam oven for 20 minutes, then place at room temperature to cool. Ensure all lids are sealed correctly and a vacuum has been created in the jar.
- Fruit can now be stored on a dark, cool shelf at room temperature for up to 12 months.
- Once opened, store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Fruit will appear intact, however if you shake the jars hard the fruit will break down into a compote.