1kg venison loin, trimmed and portioned
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup finely diced shallots
2 cups rolled oats, lightly toasted
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
50g toasted pine nuts, chopped
50g toasted pistachios, chopped
60g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
1 tablespoon freeze-dried cherries, chopped
500g beetroot cooked, peeled, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground fennel
½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon olive oil
Pickled beetroot slices
50g red medium-sized beetroot
100ml white wine
100ml raspberry vinegar
100g brown sugar
2 sprigs of thyme
3 bay leaves
Roasted baby beetroots
18 baby beetroots
Toasted cumin seeds and olive oil, for sautéing
1.5g xanthan gum
200ml chicken stock
Black pudding crumb
300g black pudding
- Over a flame, burn the tops of the leeks to create an ash. Then combine all the ingredients, together with the leek ash, in a bowl and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Place the whole potato (or potatoes) onto a perforated steam tray and place in the steam oven. Steam at 100°C for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the steam oven, cool and then peel potatoes.
- In a medium saucepan bring the rest of the ingredients to the boil on high heat, Induction setting 7. Remove from the heat.
- Place the potatoes and cream mix into a food processor and blend.
- Pass through a fine sieve to create a smooth, silky puree.
Black Pudding Crumb
- Finely chop the black pudding and cook in a dry non-stick frying pan over medium heat, Induction setting 5.
- Mash it into crumbs with a fork as it softens and then fry until it just starts to crisp (1–2 minutes).
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in large sauté pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6, then add shallots and sweat until translucent.
- Add the oats, sugar, salt and thyme and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven on Fan Plus at 160°C. Bake until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature and add the nuts and berries.
- Blend all the ingredients to a smooth puree when the beetroot is still warm. You may need to add some water to thin the puree to the right consistency.
Pickled Beetroot Slices
- Peel the beetroot and slice to a thickness of 2mm.
- In a saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to the boil on high heat, Induction setting 8, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the liquid over the beetroot and place in the refrigerator to pickle for 4 hours or more.
Roasted Baby Beetroots
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray and season generously with salt.
- Place in the oven on Fan Plus at 180°C and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until a knife runs easily through the middle, but is only just cooked in the centre.
- Once cooked, remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While still warm, peel the beetroot using a small knife to remove the skins, stem and any fibrous root at the end. Cut the beetroots in half.
- When ready to serve, sauté the baby beetroots in olive oil with salt and pepper and toasted cumin seeds.
- Season the venison in the ash crust and put to one side. Sear in a pre-heated pan on high heat, Induction setting 8. Remove from the heat and place in the oven on Fan Plus at 180°C and cook for 8 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Place a line of the oat crumble to one side of the plate. Top with 3 pickled beetroot folded in half and 2 roasted Beetroot in between.
- Spoon the beetroot puree in the centre of the plate and place the venison on top.
- Serve with the potato espuma topped with the black pudding.
- The ash crust, oat crumble and pickled beetroot can all be made a few days ahead of time.
- Black pudding crumb can be made ahead of time and kept in an airtight container.