4 duck legs
4 tins of coconut milk (Ayam brand 440 ml)
2 bunches asparagus
10 dried chillies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh turmeric
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon galangal
3 sticks lemon grass
6 coriander roots
15 white peppercorns
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
6 Kaffir lime leaves
- First step for the curry is to precook the duck legs. Place in a roasting pan skin side up.
- Pour over 2 tins of the coconut milk and bake at 160 degrees for 1.5 to 2 hours. Once done, gently take duck out and refrigerate.
- Carefully skin the fat off the top of the coconut milk. Keep both for later use.
- Deseed and soak the chillies.
- Toast all spices in a pan until fragrant. Peel and chop the shallots, garlic, lemon grass, coriander roots.
- Combine all paste ingredients and blend to a fine paste. Add a splash of the chilli soaking water if not blending well.
- Heat the duck fat on high in a wok. Add the paste and fry for 10-12 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Once paste is cooked add the coconut milk from the duck and fresh milk and bring to the boil.
- Place duck and asparagus into the curry. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve in a large bowl. Sprinkle herbs, bean shoots, finely sliced chilli, fried shallots, sliced fresh shallots over the top and serve with jasmine rice.