200g dried apricots, sliced
80ml hot water
330ml coconut cream
180g raw sugar
200g ground pistachio
2 tsp (10g) gluten free baking powder
1 tsp (4g) xanthum gum
1 tsp (5g) bicarbonate soda
40g tapioca flour
100ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g dark chocolate, chopped
80g brown sugar
70ml coconut cream
1. In a small bowl, steep the apricots in hot water. Leave to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, combine coconut cream and 35g each of the cornflour and raw sugar. Stir with a whisk to ensure that the cornflour is dissolved and free of lumps. Bring to a simmer on Induction setting 7 and continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Remove from heat.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together ground pistachio, baking powder, xanthum gum, bicarbonate soda, tapioca flour and remaining cornflour.
4. Preheat Oven on Fan Plus at 160°C.
5. While the thickened coconut mixture is still warm, add the rehydrated apricots, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, ensuring there are no lumps. Transfer mixture to a paper lined 23cm round baking tin.
6. Change function by selecting Combination Mode:
Select: Fan Plus at 160°C + 50 minutes + 60% moisture.
Place into the Oven on a wire rack and bake until slightly springy to the touch. Remove from the Oven and cool completely in the
tin before topping with ganache.
1. Place chocolate into a heat safe bowl.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and stir with a whisk to ensure that the cornflour is dissolved and free of lumps. Bring to a simmer while whisking on medium to high heat, Induction setting 7. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and becomes translucent.
3. Pour the hot mixture onto the chocolate and stand for a few seconds before whisking to form a smooth emulsion, the mixture should have a slight wobble and be free of lumps.
1. Turn the cake out onto a cake platter and spread approximately 1/3 of the still warm ganache over the top of the cake, allowing some to ooze down the sides. Smooth to a uniform finish with a palette knife or spatula and leave to set at room temperature.
2. Transfer the remaining ganache to the bowl of an electric mixture with the whisk attachment. Whip until cooled to room temperature on medium to high speed; this may take 5-10 minutes. The ganache should take on a mousse-like consistency.
Transfer to a clean container and refrigerate until serving.
3. Once the ganache on the cake has set, place the whipped ganache into a piping bag with a round nozzle attached and pipe on top a decorative pattern. Dust with a little cacao powder.
4. Alternatively, quenelle whipped ganache and serve on the side.
Hints and tips
• This cake is gluten, dairy and egg free, it is suitable for vegans when using certified vegan ingredients.
• Ground pistachio can be replaced with various wheat free flours such coconut flour, almond meal and hazelnut meal.
• Dried apricot can be replaced with any sticky dried fruits such as pear, fig, dates and prunes.