2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 tbs Marsala wine
½ cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
½ tsp nutmeg, grated
140g butter, melted and cooled
2 egg whites
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup caster sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
2 tbs sliced almonds
Pure icing sugar, sifted
Cream, lightly whipped
1. Grease and line a 22cm round springform tin. Pre-heat Oven on Cakes Plus at 170°C.
2. Combine the apples and marsala and set aside.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar until very thick and pale. Sift in flour, salt, baking powder, spices and gently fold everything together.
4. Add the cooled butter and the apples with any liquid and fold together, making sure that there are no air pockets of
flour in the batter.
5. Pour mixture into the cake tin, place on shelf position 1 and Bake for 30 minutes.
1. Place egg whites into a bowl and place on a freestanding mixer with a balloon whisk attachment. Whisk until foamy
then gradually beat in both sugars and spices. Continue whisking until very thick and glossy. Fold in the almonds.
2. After 30 minutes remove cake from the Oven and Select Combination Mode: Conventional at 190˚C + 20 minutes + 0% moisture.
3. Place spoonfuls of the meringue over the top of the cake and spread evenly with a fork.
4. Return cake to the Oven and Bake for a further 20 minutes until cooked and the meringue is lightly golden.
5. Let the cake cool slightly before removing from the tin.
1. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.
HINTS AND TIPS
• Using Combination Mode with 0% moisture produces a crisper meringue as the climate sensor is working to eliminate the
moisture throughout the cooking process.
• If using an Oven without Combination Mode, select Conventional at 190°C for 15-20 minutes.