600-800 g beef eye fillet
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
Salt and white pepper, taste
1½ tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp hot water
¼ tsp salt flakes
60 ml rice vinegar
70 g shallots
1 cup watercress or baby spinach leaves
1 cup mixed herbs; coriander, Thai basil, mint leaves
2 Lebanese cucumbers, finely sliced on the diagonal
1 red capsicum, finely sliced
1 red long chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp coriander root, finely chopped
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
80 ml lime juice
1½ tbsp grated palm sugar
2 tbsp raw long grain rice
Red chilli, sliced
- Combine oyster, soy and fish sauces in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the marinade over the beef and set aside at room temperature.
- Place beef onto a multi-purpose tray lined with baking paper. Insert Food probe into centre of meat.
- Select Combi Mode:
- Stage 1: Conventional at 200°C + Core temperature 40°C + 60% moisture
- Stage 2: Conventional at 120°C + Core temperature 55°C + 35% moisture
- Remove beef from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water.
- Add vinegar and finely sliced shallots and leave to pickle until ready to serve.
- Mix all ingredients together and season to taste.
- Place the rice into a small frying pan and cook on medium-high heat, induction setting 7, for 5 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove the rice and crush lightly in a pestle and mortar.
- Toss the salad leaves, cucumber and capsicum, strained shallots and roasted rice.
- Add a little dressing and arrange onto serving dishes.
- Slice the beef thinly and arrange on top of salad.
- Drizzle lightly with dressing and garnish with fried shallots.
Hints and tips
- Add cooked rice noodles to salad for a more substantial option.
- The cooking time is for medium rare beef. Adjust the timing to suit your preferred level of doneness.