400 g green beans, trimmed
125 ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
60 ml (¼ cup) rice wine
6 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
Salt flakes, to taste
1. Place the green beans in a perforated steam tray.
2. Steam beans for 1 minute at 100°C. Plunge into iced water to stop the cooking process.
3. Drain on paper towel.
4. Heat a wok on medium-low heat, induction setting 4 for 4 minutes then increase to high heat, Induction setting 8.
add the oil and the green beans. Stir-fry until they change colour. Remove from the pan and place back on the
6. Add the sugar by sprinkling over the base of the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
7. Add the fish sauce, rice wine, garlic and a good pinch of salt. Take care as the oil will be
very hot and will spit when the liquids are added.
8. Cook until the sauce has reduced by half, then add the green beans and mix through the
sauce prior to serving.
9. Taste and season with more salt if necessary. Serve warm.
• Snow peas can be substituted for green beans.