375 g caster sugar
375 g unsalted butter
240 g sefl-raising flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
120 g brown sugar
120 g butter
100 ml cream
2 tablespoons brandy or brown rum
- Roast 10 bananas in their skins in the oven at 180° until the flesh is tender, this will take approximately 10 minutes for the skins to become really black. Scrape out flesh and mash together in a bowl with a fork and any juices from the tray.
- Place sugar and soft butter in mixer and beat until butter is pale and sugar as dissolved. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on medium speed.
- Next add the flour, baking powder and banana. Mix through careful not to work the flour too much.
- Spread some butter lightly in the pudding moulds and sprinkle with sugar. Small timbal moulds are good or tea cups work well.
- Spoon mix into moulds about ¾ full. Place in oven tray and steam for 12 – 15 minutes at 100°.
- Place brown sugar and butter in a small pan and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, add cream and stir until bubbling. Slice remaining 2 bananas, stir through brandy or rum and chopped banana into the caramel sauce.
- Turn out puddings, pour over caramel sauce and sliced banana. Serve