85 g cabbage, finely shredded
300 g white potatoes, peeled and grated
50 g brown onion, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
60 g cheddar cheese, shredded
½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup tomato sauce
½ tsp ginger, fresh, peeled and grated
2 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
3 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
Pickled ginger (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients to combine.
1. Wring out any excess moisture from the potatoes before placing into a mixing bowl with cabbage, onion, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
2. In a medium sized frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat, induction setting 6.
3. Once oil is hot, add half the pancake mixture to the frying pan. Top with the cheddar, then add the remaining pancake mixture on top to cover.
4. Fry for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until the pancake base is golden brown. Use a spatula to press the pancake wider as the mixture softens and shrinks.
5. Use a spatula to loosen the edges of the pancake. Cover the frying pan with a large plate and flip the pancake.
6. Add more oil to the pan before returning the pancake to the heat.
7. Cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Remove the pancake from the heat. Drizzle with a generous amount of mayonnaise and ginger sauce and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Hints and tips
• Use a non-stick frying pan for best results.
• A medium sized frying pan would be 23-26 cm in diameter.
• Seafood can also be added to the pancake.