24 mussels, cleaned and beards removed
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
1 stick celery stalk, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1 litre fish stock and mussel liquid (combined)
1½ tablespoons flour
Potato and kumara trimmings (from garnish)
1 teaspoon curry powder, mild
1 stick celery stalk, thinly slice on diagonal
1 potato, Agria, medium, cut into 1cm cubes
1 kumara, medium, cut into 1cm cubes, retaining the trimmings from the potato and Kumura
3 slices (80g) sliced bacon, finely chopped
4 tablespoons bread crumbs, fresh or dry
50g fresh parsley, chopped
100ml extra virgin olive oil
Clams and mussels
- Clean and debeard the mussels and cockles.
- Place mussels and clams in a solid steam tray and Steam at 90°C for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the steam oven, strain and reserve the liquid.
- Remove mussel and clam meat from the shells, retaining shells for final presentation. Cut meat into bite size pieces and set aside ½ the meat for plating. The remainder will go into the soup.
- Heat butter in a large pan on medium heat, Induction setting 6. Add garlic, onion, celery, leek, curry powder and bay leaf and cook until soft and fragrant (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add the Potato and Kumura trimmings
- Sprinkle flour over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in hot reserved mussel liquid and fish stock and bring to the boil on induction setting 7-8.
- Reduce to medium heat, Induction setting 6 and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the cream and ½ measure of mussel and cockle meat. Bring back to the boil for 2 minutes then remove from the heat again.
- Discard the bay leaf and blend the soup with a stick blender or liquidiser until smooth.
- Season the kumara and potatoes and place into a perforated steam tray Steam at 100°C for 3 minutes.
- Place the celery into a separate perforated steam tray and place into the steam oven with the kumara and potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the kumara, potatoes, and celery and put to one side.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan over medium-high heat, Induction setting 7-8.
- Add the bacon and sauté for 3 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Add bread crumbs and cook until golden.
- Remove from the heat and dry on paper towel.
- Once the mixture has cooled blend to a sand texture.
- Wash parsley and dry.
- Place the oil and parsley in a pan. Place on a medium heat, Induction setting 4 and sauté lightly.
- Remove from heat and once the oil has cooled, puree in a high speed blender, then pass through a coffee filter.
- Arrange mussels, clams and steamed vegetables in a bowl.
- Warm the soup through and pour enough to just cover the vegetables.
- Sprinkle bacon crumbs and drizzle with parsley oil.
- Garnish with chervil and chives.