290 g icing sugar
170 g almond meal
170 g egg whites
90 g caster sugar
200 g unsalted butter, softened
100 g icing sugar
Vanilla extract or other flavouring of your choice
Food colouring of your choice
- Blend or process the icing sugar and almond meal together to make a fine mix.
- In the bowl of a freestanding mixer with whisk attachment, add the egg whites and beat on high speed for 3 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat on high speed for 2 minutes to form a stiff meringue.
- Fold one third of the almond mixture into the meringue using a rubber spatula. Once fully incorporated, stir the remaining almond mixture into the meringue, being conscious not to knock out all of the air.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, with a macaron template underneath.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag with a size 7 nozzle and pipe out onto the lined tray.
- Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 140°C with the Crisp function activated.
- Place the tray into the oven on shelf level 2 and bake for 5 minutes. Turn off the Crisp function and continue to cook for another 18 minutes, or until the macarons are cooked.
- Allow the macarons to cool on the trays and then fill with your favourite buttercream.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add your desired flavour and colour to the buttercream.