215g dried chickpeas
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
5g salt flakes
120ml fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup (155g) tahini
125ml iced water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Extra virgin olive oil for serving
Sumac and smoked paprika
1. Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover well with water, leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Drain chickpeas, place in a deep solid steam tray.
3. Cover with at least 3cm water and top with a lid. Place in the Pressure Steam Oven and select Pressure Steam at 120°C for 30 minutes.
4. Once cooked carefully remove from the oven, drain and cool.
5. While chickpeas are cooling, place garlic, salt and lemon juice in a food processor and blend to a puree.
6. Add tahini and pulse to combine. With the motor running add the iced water, then process until the mixture is smooth and pale.
7. Add chickpeas and cumin, process once again scraping down the sides until the mixture is smooth.
8. Thin with more iced water if you prefer a looser consistency. Season with more salt flakes and fresh lemon juice if a sharper finish is desired.
1. Spoon hummus into a shallow bowl or plate, making a well in the centre. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil into the well and top with a generous sprinkling of sumac or smoked paprika.
HINTS AND TIPS
- Chickpeas can also be cooked in a Steam Oven at 100ºC for 90 minutes, uncovered.