2 kg whole chicken
60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
75 g (¼ cup) harissa paste
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp honey
1 lemon, zested and juiced
400 g (1 1/3 cups) store-bought or home-made natural yoghurt
1 bunch mint leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp mint leaves
2 lemons, halved
- Using kitchen scissors, cut along each side of the chicken’s backbone and discard. Turn chicken skin-side up, carefully remove the wishbone; use heel of hand to press flat.
- Combine the oil, harissa, cumin, coriander, salt, honey, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl.
- Place the chicken into the bowl and rub the marinade over the chicken to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven on Fan Grill at 200°C.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator. Place skin-side down on a grilling and roasting insert on a universal tray.
- Place the tray into the oven on shelf level 4 and cook for 25 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over so the skin side is now facing up and cook for a further 8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and skin is golden.
- Turn the oven off and allow chicken to rest in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place half of the yoghurt and all the mint into a blender and blend on high until bright green.
- Remove from blender and place into bowl, add the remaining yoghurt and stir gently to combine. Season to taste.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place on a serving platter.
- Pour juices from the tray over the chicken.
- Serve with yoghurt, lemon halves and additional mint leaves
Hints and tips
- Roast or grill the lemon halves for extra flavour.
- This dish can be served with steamed couscous. Combine 1 cup of couscous with 1 cup of stock and Steam at 100°C for 15 minutes. Stir through some butter, chopped herbs and season to taste.
- The discarded bones can be used to make stock.