6 egg whites
125 g (1 cup) almond meal
220 g (1½ cups) icing sugar mixture
75 g (½ cup) plain flour
125 g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 lemon, zested
Icing sugar, extra
- Preheat the oven on Fan Plus at 170ºC. Grease a mini friand or muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites until combined and frothy.
- Add the almond meal, flour, butter, salt, vanilla and zest to the bowl. Fold together, using a spatula or metal spoon, until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into the prepared pan and top with your preferred toppings.
- Place into the oven on shelf level 2 and bake for 15 minutes, or until firm to touch.
- Cool slightly before removing from the pan. Cool to room temperature.
- Dust with extra icing sugar to serve.
Roasted strawberry friand
- Combine 250 g halved strawberries, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and a little icing sugar. Place onto a universal tray and roast on Fan Plus at 170ºC for 20 minutes or until caramelised.
- Place a strawberry half onto each friand before baking.
- Place a fresh raspberry into each friand before baking.
Mix nut and orange friands
- Substitute orange rind instead of lemon rind in the friand mix. Roughly chop 2 tbsp of almonds and pistachios.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the friands before baking.
Blueberry and pistachio friands
- Roughly chop 2 tbsp pistachios.
- Place a fresh blueberry into each friand before baking and sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
Lime and coconut friands
- Substitute orange rind instead of lemon rind in the friand mix.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over the friands before baking.