500 ml milk
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
2 tbsp caster sugar
140 g granulated sugar
70 ml water
- Place the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and warm on medium heat, induction setting 6 until it comes to a gentle simmer.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and caster sugar until well combined.
- Remove the vanilla pod and pour the milk over the egg mixture and stir until combined. Set aside to cool.
- Place the granulated sugar and water in a saucepan on medium heat, induction setting 5. Once the sugar has dissolved increase the heat to high, induction setting 8. Rapidly boil the sugar until it has turned a toffee brown colour.
- Divide the caramel evenly between the ramekins and place the ramekins in a perforated steam container.
- Strain the custard into a jug and fill the ramekins. Cover loosely with foil.
- Place the custards into the steam oven and Steam at 85°C for 25 minutes to set.
- Chill the custards for at least 2–3 hours in the refrigerator before turning out onto a plate to serve.
Hints and tips
- This recipe can be cooked using the Automatic Programme + Desserts + Crème Caramel on selected Steam and Combi steam ovens. Step 1 of the programme heats the milk and vanilla for the custard in the steam oven for 3 minutes.
- The caramel can be replaced with honey. Bring 180 ml of honey to the boil on medium heat, induction setting 6. Pour the honey into the ramekins and continue to follow the recipe for the custard as above.