2 cups double cream
½ cup milk
1 vanilla bean, split
9 egg yolks
½ cup caster sugar
- Place cream, milk, and vanilla pod into a heavy based saucepan over medium heat and heat gently until almost boiling. You will notice the mixture just begins to look foamy. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until combined.
- Gradually whisk the warm cream mixture into the eggs, until blended. Strain through a fine sieve and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Skim any thick foam that forms on top.
- Pour into brûleé dishes or flameproof ramekins, place into a perforated steam container and cover with cling wrap or foil. Steam at 85°C for 30 minutes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of caster sugar on top of each brûleé and caramelise using a blow torch, or place underneath a pre-heated grill until sugar melts and forms a thin, golden toffee (the blowtorch will give a better result).