1 tablespoon duck fat or olive oil
2kg chicken Maryland (½ Summerland chicken) chopped into 100g pieces
12 shallots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
2 sprigs thyme
100ml apple vinegar
1 bottle (375ml) dessert wine, preferably sauterne
200ml chicken stock
2 zucchini courgettes, diced or shaped into suitable size
½ lemon, zest and juice
50g cultured butter
Murray River Sea Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 140°C.
2. Place a heavy Le Creuset style casserole dish on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7.
3. Add the oil or fat, and then the chicken pieces, colour until golden, and add the shallots and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add thyme, then deglaze the pan with the vinegar, reduce to a glaze then add dessert wine and reduce the liquid by half.
5. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, cover and place into the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, let rest for a minimum of 15 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and rest on a plate covered
with cling film to prevent drying out.
7. Skim off any visible fat from the top of the braising juices and discard.
8. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil; add the courgette and simmer for 2 minutes or until cooked.
9. Season with lemon juice, zest, salt and butter.
10. Bring to the boil, add the chicken pieces, and remove from the heat.