1 tablespoon duck fat or olive oil
2kg chicken Maryland (½ Summerland chicken) chopped into 100g pieces
12 shallots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
2 sprigs thyme
100ml apple vinegar
1 bottle (375ml) dessert wine, preferably sauterne
200ml chicken stock
2 zucchini courgettes, diced or shaped into suitable size
½ lemon, zest and juice
50g cultured butter
Murray River Sea Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven on Fan Plus at 140°C.
- Place a heavy Le Creuset style casserole dish on medium heat, Induction setting 6-7.
- Add the oil or fat, and then the chicken pieces, colour until golden, and add the shallots and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add thyme, then deglaze the pan with the vinegar, reduce to a glaze then add dessert wine and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, cover and place into the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let rest for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces and rest on a plate covered with cling film to prevent drying out. Skim off any visible fat from the top of the braising juices and discard.
- Bring the remaining liquid to the boil; add the courgette and simmer for 2 minutes or until cooked.
- Season with lemon juice, zest, salt and butter.
- Bring to the boil, add the chicken pieces, and remove from the heat.