185 g plain flour
60 g pecans
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt flakes
¼ tsp cinnamon
125 g unsalted butter, cold, diced
80 ml iced water
600 g fresh cherries, pitted
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tsp orange zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
60 g caster sugar
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Place flour, pecans, sugar, salt and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to form a coarse meal texture.
- Add butter and pulse until large breadcrumbs form and then add the water and process until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto a sheet of cling wrap. Form into a disc and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven on Intensive Bake at 170°C. Place a baking tray on shelf position 1 and allow to heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients until combined.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a diameter of 30 cm and 5 mm thickness.
- Line a 27 cm round baking tray with the pastry. If the pastry cracks or breaks, just patch it back together.
- Pile the cherry filling into the centre of the pastry, leaving a 5 cm border of pastry around the edges.
- Fold pastry edges over the filling, overlapping the pastry slightly. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake galette on shelf position 1 for 40 minutes until the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Slice into 10 portions and serve with crème fraiche.
Hints and tips
- This is a rustic tart; don’t be too concerned about achieving the perfect shape!