105g blanched almond meal
150g caster sugar
20g plain flour
375g thickened cream 35% fat
4 whole eggs
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon orange zest
200g fresh cherries, pitted, halved
40g flaked almonds
20g vanilla sugar, garnish
1. Pre-heat oven on Intensive Bake at 150°C.
2. In a large bowl combine almond meal, plain flour and caster sugar.
3. In separate bowl, whisk whole eggs, yolks, zest and cream.
4. Add cream mixture to dry, whisk until combined. If the mixture is lumpy, use a stick blender to remove the lumps.
5. Rest batter for at least 10 minutes or overnight to allow to thicken.
6. Pour batter into a base of a round 27cm baking tray. Drop cherries evenly into the batter and scatter top with flaked almonds.
7. Place in the oven on shelf position 1 and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and the batter has risen.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
9. Serve with crème fraiche.
- Batter can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Gluten free flour can be used to make this a gluten free option.
- If fresh cherries are unavailable, other fruits such as preserved cherries, berries, plums, apricots, or rhubarb can be substituted.
- Baked clafoutis will keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days sealed in an airtight container.