50g enoki mushrooms
20g dried shiitake mushrooms (about 5 mushrooms)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 fresh, whole blue swimmer crabs
1 bunch, chervil or dill
1 teaspoon bonito flakes
20g unsalted butter
1 tablespoon verjuice
2 egg yolks
Handful chervil sprigs
Pickled ginger, to garnish
- Trim the base off the enoki mushrooms and rinse thoroughly, reserve the stems and caps for later, then place into a solid steam tray, along with the shitake mushrooms, water, 75ml verjuice, soy sauce and mirin.
- Place the crabs on top of the chervil or dill in a solid steam tray. Place into the steam oven with the stock and Steam at 100°C for 4 minutes.
- Remove the crabs from the steam oven and set aside to cool. Continue to steam the stock at 100°C for a further 16 minutes.
- When the crabs are cool enough to handle, pick the meat from the crabs, making sure to get all of the meat from the claws as well.
- Remove the mushroom stock from the steam oven and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan, pressing down on the solids to extract as much flavour as possible. Place the stock onto medium-high heat, Induction 8 and simmer to reduce by half, 400ml. Remove from heat add the bonito flakes and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan until nut brown, add the enoki mushroom stems and caps and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, then sauté until lightly golden, about 1 minute on medium heat, Induction setting 7. Add 1 tablespoon of verjuice and increase to high heat, Induction setting 9 and cook while stirring until the verjuice has evaporated. Place onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Combine the drained mushrooms with the crab meat and season lightly with sea salt, divide evenly between eight 100ml ramekins.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks into the cooled stock to form a custard, pour through a fine mesh sieve into a jug. Divide the custard evenly between the ramekins. Top each custard with a sprig of chervil and pickled ginger, then place into a perforated steam tray. Cover the tray tightly with foil and place into the steam oven, Steam at 90°C for 15 minutes. The custard should have a slight wobble and be just set, serve hot with extra pickled ginger and chervil.